Leadership Academy Programme – LAP
The Leadership Academy Programme (LAP) is a learning and action course targeting mayors, senior officials and elected representatives of local government. LAP is composed of the following three stages:
- Leadership for Organisations – consolidation of participants’ leadership skills in order to contribute building organisational leadership within their organisation;
- Leadership for Strategy – focus on providing the skills and tools to build the organisation’s capacity to foster internal collaboration to effectively adapt to challenges, adopting and implementing strategies to sustain the well-being of a community;
- Leadership for Capacity building – capacity of the organisation to share a clear vision, to understand the key challenges and to influence systems.
International and local experts on behalf of the Council of Europe Centre of Expertise for Good Governance deliver the LAP course. It is an interactive programme, applying collaborative methodologies to the learning process.
The LAP aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Focus on learning areas relevant to local contexts whilst ensuring the widespread achievement of the Council of Europe training objectives;
- Equip participants with the knowledge and the tools to deliver good governance through high-performing local government organisations.
Mode of operation
Generally, the Leadership Academy Programme is delivered over a period of six – twelve months, in three separate sessions lasting three days each, to groups of up to 25 participants. In the framework of the programme, participants are:
- Introduced to new thinking about institutional leadership and good governance at local level;
- Encouraged to develop the personal awareness, values, knowledge, skills, behaviours and attitudes that form the foundation of good leadership;
- Supported in examining the challenges faced by their organisation and in learning how good leadership can tackle those challenges by strengthening organisational capacities and working effectively with local communities.
LAP’s expected results
LAP aims to achieve the following results on the organisation and community level.
- Organisational level
- Strengthening individual/group capacities and expertise;
- Development of a clear authority and legitimacy;
- Strengthening the community leadership.
- Community level
- Development of individual/group capacities to promote innovation;
- Development of community cohesion;
- Increasing the quality of public services.