Case Study Category: ELoGE
- Implementation and Methodology
- Target groups
- Good Practices
- Awarded Municipalities
- Useful materials/further information
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
For the first time, European Label of Governance Excellence (ELoGE) was successfully implemented in Türkiye by the Argüden Governance Academy in partnership with the Marmara Municipalities Union. Two pilot district municipalities prepared for the ELoGE within the scope of project called Integrated Municipality Governance Model Project and run by the Academy, the Council of Europe, the Marmara Municipalities Union, and Sultanbeyli and Şişli Municipalities as piloting partners.
Integrated Municipality Governance Model was developed by Argüden Governance Academy and aimed to strengthen good governance culture in municipalities. The Model helps to implement good governance principles of the Council of Europe throughout the organizational structures, governing stages, and processes of a municipality.
The ELoGE was implemented in Türkiye through this project which has been implemented between October 2021 to November 2022. In this manner, the project has introduced the ELoGE in Türkiye and two piloting municipalities are awarded with the Label. All of the project partners have contributed the process and its subsequent success.
Argüden Governance Academy developed a unique methodology to implement ELoGE in Türkiye with the full support of the project partners. The Integrated Municipal Governance Model acts as a practical roadmap for full implementation of the ELoGE with its practical tools and steps. The four phases of the process were:
- Interview with directors
- Survey with internal stakeholders
- Good governance training programs
- Workshop with internal stakeholders
- Workshop with external stakeholders
- Gap analysis report
- Preparing action plans
- Implementation of ELoGE Training of Trainers (The participants who completed training successfully have received certificates)
- Organising ELoGE training programs for various municipal actors
- Monitoring action plans
- Experience sharing meetings between municipalities
3. ELoGE application
- Completion of Self-Assessment Matrix
- Completion of Citizen Survey
- Completion of Councillors Survey
- The applications of the municipalities were received with the supporting evidence and documents by Argüden Governance Academy and the Marmara Municipalities Union. The National Platform (the Academy and the Marmara Municipalities Union) prepared the ELoGE Jury Evaluation Guidelines for their assessment. The applications with supporting evidence and guidelines were sent to the Jury members. Each Jury member reviewed and evaluated the applications with the supporting evidence. The Jury had a meeting where they have discussed each indicator and related evidence. They made decision based on this evaluation. Their decision was to award the Label to both applied municipalities. The ELoGE Jury Evaluation Reports has been prepared in accordance with decision by the National Platform.
ELoGE Türkiye involved three target groups for each municipality:
ELoGE is a long journey for municipalities to develop and to support good governance culture in their institutional structures, processes, and practices. The Integrated Municipality Governance Model paved the way for the achievement of a good governance culture in local governments with its holistic, practical, and guiding features with specific steps and tools. The model shows how local governments can improve their good governance practices through gap analysis, training programs, and short-term, mid and long-term action plans.
- Sultanbeyli Municipality
- Şişli Municipality