Case Study Category: ELoGE
- Implementation and Methodology
- Target groups
- Good Practices
- Awarded Municipalities
- Useful materials/further information
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
The Project “European Label of Governance Excellence (ELoGE) in North Macedonia” is a 2-year project funded by the Council of Europe. The first phase of the project started on 1 April 2021 till 30 November 2021, and the second phase from 15 February to 30 November 2022. The project “European Label of Governance Excellence (ELoGE) in North Macedonia” is designed to support municipalities to enhance their performance and provide high-quality services in an improved system of local self-government.
It includes a way to measure verification of compliance by each participating local government unit with the Council of Europe’s 12 Principles of Good Democratic Governance and is promoted in all Member States as part of the implementation of the European Strategy for Innovation and Good Governance at the Local Level.
The ELoGE programme in North Macedonia was implemented in four phases:
- Preparation - As is the procedure, in the preparation phase all of the activities were mapped, and the action plan was created in order to better follow the project activities. For better coordination, the project team regularly met. Mapping on experts, municipalities, and different stakeholders was put into place during this period.
- Adaptation - One of the biggest challenges was adapting the ELoGE materials to the local context, more specifically translating them into Macedonian. The first document that was tackled was the Benchmark, which was translated with the support of the local expert. The content and the indicators were discussed with experts in local democracy in order to ensure that they correspond to the Macedonian context and legislative responsibilities of the municipalities.
- Launching Ceremony - The launching event intended for Local government in North Macedonia – in order to present the 12 Principles of Good Governance, the ELoGE programme and the overall project was organised on 18th November 2021 in Skopje and online on Zoom.
- Implementation - The self-assessment process for the Macedonian municipalities started on the 11th of April 2022. Then 3 separate surveys were prepared, 1 for citizens, 1 for employees of the municipalities, and 1 for councilors. The Surveys were created in Google forms in Macedonian, and QR codes were made to ease the distribution. The surveys stayed open until October 2022 to ensure a better data collection. The local experts worked with the ELoGE coordinators to reach the targets.
ELoGE North Macedonia involved three target groups of each Municipality:
- Municipalities’ employees
- Members of local councils
The implementation of the activities was done by ALDA and the local expertise in North Macedonia was provided by ALDA’s office in Skopje and its competent staff. A training session for trainers was organized in March and May 2022, where throughout 3 sessions the local experts were trained in the implementation of the programme of ELoGE.